Skip navigation links
2017 Court Calendar
2018 District Court Calendar
Absentee Information
Absentee Voting Faq
Civil Division
Child Support
Circuit Civil
District Civil
Domestic Relations
Protection from Abuse FAQ
Small Claims
Criminal Division
Traffic Court
Jury Duty
Jury Information
Jury Duty Faq
Trial Participants
Sequence of Trial Events
Legal and Judicial Terms
Magistrates & Warrants
Need an Attorney?
Passport Information
Request for Records
Unlawful Detainers
Absentee Voting Faq 

When does absentee voting start?

 The Probate Judge is required by law to provide ballots and supplies to the Absentee Election Manager 40 days before an election.

Back to Top


What are the qualifications for obtaining an absentee ballot?


  • The voter will be out of the county or state on election day.
  • The voter is physically incapacitated and will not be able to vote in person on election day.
  • The voter works a shift which has at least (10) hours that coincide with the polling hours at their regular polling place.
  • The voter is a student at and educational institution located outside the county of their permanent residence; and are, therefore, unable to vote at their usual polling place on election day.
  • The voter is a member of, or a spouse of a member of, the armed forces of the United States or are otherwise entitled to vote by absentee pursuant the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act, 42, U.S.C. 1973ff.
  • The voter has been appointed as an election officer at a polling place which is not their regular polling place.

Back to Top

Am I eligible to vote absentee?

   If you are registered to vote in Cherokee County and meet one of the above requirements, then you are eligible. If you are not registered to vote in Cherokee County, you will need to contact the Board of Registrars at (256) 927-5336 to register. By law the cut-off date to register to be eligible to vote in an upcoming election is 10 days before the election.

You can download a voter registration form here. It should be mailed to the Board of Registrars at 260 Cedar Bluff Road, Centre, Alabama 35960.

Back to Top

How do I apply for an absentee ballot?

   You can call Dwayne Amos, Absentee Election Manager at (256) 927-3637 or come by and pick up an application at room 203 at the Cherokee County Courthouse, 100 Main St. Centre, AL 35960. You can also download the form at Absentee Voting Files.


Back to Top

Where do I mail the application?

   The application must be mailed to: Dwayne Amos, Absentee Election Manager, 100 Main Street, Room 203, Centre, AL 35960. By law ( AG Opinion 82-551), each application must be mailed in a separate envelope. Multiple applications (even for husband and wife) which are mailed in the same envelope will be returned to the voter. Applications cannot be faxed to the Absentee Election Manager. For voter applications and absentee applications visit:

Back to Top

What is the deadline for voting absentee?

   The cut-off date is 5 days before an election. Since elections are typically held on a Tuesday, this would be on the preceding Thursday. Your application must be received in the office on or before this date for me to be able to mail you a ballot, or you can vote in person at the office of the Absentee Election Manager through Thursday.

Back to Top

What if my application is postmarked Thursday?

   Your application must physically be in the Absentee Election Manager's office on Thursday. That is the cut-off date for mailing a ballot.

Back to Top

Can I vote absentee in person?

   Yes, you can come by the Absentee Election Manager's office Monday through Friday 8:00AM-12:00PM and 1:00PM - 4:00PM  (except on holidays) and make application and vote while you are in the office. The cut-off date is Thursday (five days before an election). The address is room 203 at the Cherokee County Courthouse, Centre, AL.

Back to Top

Do I need an ID to vote absentee?

   Yes, please visit the following link to see the new, approved forms of Identification:



Back to Top

If I am voting absentee by mail, when do I send in the copy of my ID?

After you make application, you will receive your ballot and supplies. You will need to send a photocopy of your ID at that time. Please read your instructions carefully as to how it is to be returned.

 Do not seal up your ID in either one of the white envelopes.

Your ID should be placed inside the BROWN return envelope.

Back to Top

How do I find out where my voting precinct is?

   You can call the Cherokee County Board of Registrars at (256) 927-5336 for information on your voting precinct. A general precinct map is also available on the website. This map is without landmarks and labeled roads. If you are unsure which precinct you are in, call the Cherokee County Board of Registrars.

Back to Top

Does my absentee ballot have to be witnessed or notarized?

   Yes, by law, your ballot must either be notarized OR witnessed by two people 18 years of age or older. These may be other family members.

If your ballot has not been notarized or witnessed by 2 people, it will not be counted.

Back to Top

I have a relative serving in the military, how can they vote absentee?

   They need to contact the military voting assistance officer and request Standard Form 76-A which is a Federal Post Card Absentee Ballot Request. It is postage pre-paid. These applications are good for 1 Calendar year cycle, so once this application is received, the applicant will automatically be mailed a ballot for upcoming elections they are eligible to vote in. For more information, go to You can  also download an Absentee Ballot Application from this website. The Absentee Election Manager should be notified if there is a change of address of military voter between elections.

Back to Top

I have power-of-attorney for a relative, can I vote for them?

No, at this time the law (AG Opinion 84-359) does not allow a person to vote for someone else.

Back to Top

I have moved since the last election, how will this affect my being able to vote absentee?

   You need to get in touch with the Board of Registrars at (256) 927-5336 and update your address. If I receive your application and the residence address is different than what is on file with the Board of Registrars, you will have to vote a Provisional Ballot.


Do I have to file a new application for every election?

   The law states that any elections which are 42 days apart, must have a new application (except military absentee applications).

Back to Top

What if I find out after the Thursday afternoon deadline that I have to go out of the county for employment reasons?

   The law provides for a voter to vote business emergency if you find out after the Thursday deadline that you have to go out of the county or state for business reasons. You can go to the Absentee Election Manager's Office and vote in person on Thursday and Monday before the Tuesday election. (Unless either of these two days is a federal/state holiday).

Back to Top

Must I declare a particular party to vote?

   To vote in the Primary Election, you must designate the party which you wish to receive a ballot for. You cannot vote a Republican and a Democrat ballot. In the General Election in November, you can vote for candidates from any of the parties on the ballot.

Back to Top

Who do I contact to vote absentee in city elections?

You need to call your city clerk at the city hall in the municipality you live in.

Back to Top